Friday, September 14, 2007

Stating the obvious...

I haven't wrote anything in a while because I've been in a sorta good mode lately and this whole blog thing was sort of a release from the stress. But I still have a lot to say so, I guess I'll start with the conversation me and my friend had last weekend. Bored at work we started conversing about the problems of the world and where we feel they stem from. By the end of the conversation I couldn't believe how much me and my friend did not have in common. My underlying and most important views of this world itself comes from my life experiences (which is enough to write a novel that no one would believe is true) and things I've seen happening in this world. I do take into consideration scholarly works which I do find interesting but I feel that you can't get every meaning of life from a book. And this is coming from someone who loves books and wants to have a library in their future home, no joke. But I see in college so many people take a class or read a book in a class and think that they know what life or certain peoples lifes are from it. I hear people saying things like "Well I took a class on Asain literature and I believe that the Asain Americans feel that way because...". As if taking one class makes you an expert on an entire group of people. Ridiculous. It can make you more aware of certain things and understand things a little more but you don't know it unless you are that particular group and experienced it. I like to take ethnic courses to learn a little something about a culture I otherwise would know little or nothing about but I definately know that it doesn't make me an expert in the matter. I don't know, I see it every year in at least one class I take and it bugs the hell out of me. But ok back to me and my friend. She has this Psychologist point of view being that, that is her major and feels that all the worlds problems boil down to love or lack there of. And feels that things start with the family. I don't think she's wrong but I see it as more than that. Everything isn't always that clear. Like my mother didn't love me so that's why I did this or my father wasn't in my life so that's why I do this. Everything isn't so clear cut. Some people will do things that can't be explained by there family relations, sometimes it society as a whole or the type of romantic relationships they've had or any number of things. I was trying to explain to her that I believe that there are a number of things that explain why people are the way they are, not just how their relation with their family is or isn't. But she just couldn't seem to get why I thought that way. Which is cool but she seemed really upset that I didn't believe in her views which mostly stemmed from this class she took and some guy she saw speak on a youtube video about the topic. Not that I'm knocking her for why she choose her views but too many crazy things have happened in my life for me to feel that all the problems of the world would change if we all have good relations at home with families that love and care for us. I think that it will help but more than that is needed to fix the problems of this world and on that note me and my friend couldn't agree. But I have more respect for someone who isn't scared to voice their opinions than someone who just goes along with everything I say as to avoid conflict but really believes otherwise.

No comments: